View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mollymorphia

re: How to be an effective TANK!

Druids are the only tanking class that DO NOT NEED defensive to be crit immune.

Paladins, Death Knights, Warriors all need 540 defense rating to become crit immune against a boss (83 elite)

now that bit is covered here are the base stats I would suggest all tanks require.

268 rating - this is mele hit cap and stops you missing the target. If you miss you lose threat!

Expertise - Expertise decreases the chance that melee attacks made by the player will be dodged or parried. Some tanks will like to collect a lot of expertise in order to avoid boss parries. the soft cap is 26 (6.5%). I like to have around 35 expertise combined with dodge (as a druid) increases threat.

Dodge is a form of melee mitigation where the entire melee swing is avoided! The amount of dodge you have is affected by your class, level, talents, agility, dodge rating, defense rating, and defense skill... Well that sounds easy enough doesn't it? How much dodge should the average tank be stacking? Well its different for every tanking class and can vary between 15% - 40%. Dodge works in combination with Expertise.

Those are the 3/4 major stats needed for tanking. Def. cap, Hit cap, Expertise and Dodge! - This will make you crit immune, give you the ability never to miss the target allowing you to generate threat and also give you mitigation against attacks!

Avoidance vs Health

Lets talk about Druids since they are not like other tanks. Once you get the above stats in place. hit, expertise and dodge. As a druid there is not much else you can do apart from stack stamina and agility to increase your survivability.

Armor - Physical damage mitigation in combat (armor = damage reduction). 25k-35k armor is required reduce alot of damage being taken.

Parry (8% cap)- A successful parry nullifies the attack (for the attacker it is like a miss) and reduces the swing timer of the defender. Works a bit like haste but not on bosses this was removed apart from on the last 3 of TOC. Death Knights convert 25% of their strength to parry every other class converts it from defense.

Block - Partly blocks an attack based, 16 block rating = 1%. The fact that a Block may only mitigate damage partly—which means the enemy's attack speed and damage per attack becomes a factor—and the fact that the talents increasing Block chance cannot reliably be active at all times, makes it harder to calculate the actual benefit of Block in comparison to other damage mitigation mechanics, such as armor or chance to get missed.

Stamina - Stamina provides 10 health for each point apart from first 20 points which only give 1hp. We all know stamina is our life and what tanks should aim for when raid buffed is as follows: Tier 7 dungeons (25-30k), Tier 8 (30-40k), Tier 9 / 10 (40k+).

So what have we learned?

Defense cap - makes you crit immune so you dont get 1 shot (regardless of health points)

Armor - helps reduce the amount of damage taken

Hit rating / Expertise - helps you generate threat by stopping the target from missing / dodging & parrying your attacks.

Dodge / Parry / Block - helps you avoid being hit (mitigation) which means you need less Stamina to be an effective tank!

examples:
Druid (40% dodge, 0% parry, 0% block)
Paladin: (15% dodge, 15% parry, 15% block)
Death Knight: (10% dodge, 30% parry, 0% block)
Warrior: (10% dodge, 10% parry, 30% block)

my tanking formula is as follows:

def cap > mitigation > stamina

hope this helps everyone in the guild who is a tank or thinking about taking up the art of tanking...
taydak
Guild Master

re: tanking

cheers for that andy i hope it helps me on my way

Nice tutorial hope it helps out many of us Happy
Mollymorphia

Can I add to this slightly.

On some fights it can be more beneficial to stack alot of stamina. If your going to do this then I would suggest having a 2nd set high stamina gear or atleast a few key pieces of gear with high stamina.

Its better overall to socket your items correctly especially when the socket bonus gives more benefit than just sticking in a +stamina gem.

a 50 / 60k hp tank won't have as many avoidance stats as a properly gemmed / enchanted tank with less health but fully protected.

BUT the tank with large amount of stamina will be able to soak up the blows that are not always avoidable.

its a juggling game and best to use the right tank(s) on the right boss.

Or ask your tanks to carry additional gear to benefit the raid.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Raiders of the Glomp Forum Index -> Dungeons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: